The parent’s part is to train them for life, to send them out of the home ready for whatever duty or mission God may have ready for them….What we want to do with our children is not merely to control them and keep them in order, but to implant true principles deep in their hearts which shall rule their whole lives; to shape their character from within into Christlike beauty, and to make of them noble men and women, strong for battle and for duty. They are to be trained rather than governed. Growth of character, not merely good behavior, is the object of all home governing and teaching. Therefore the home influence is far more important than the home laws, and the parents’ lives are of more moment than their teachings. – J.R. Miller, Homemaking
“I am only a pencil in God’s hand. God writes through us, and however imperfect instruments we may be, God writes beautifully.” – Mother Teresa
As I see it, the Christian life must be comprised of three concentric circles, each of which must be kept in its proper place.
In the outer circle must be the correct theological position, true biblical orthodoxy and the purity of the visible church. This is first, but if that is all there is, it is just one more seedbed for spiritual pride.
In the second circle must be good intellectual training and comprehension of our own generation. But having only this leads to intellectualism and again provides a seedbed for pride.
In the inner circle must be the humble heart — the love of God, the devotional attitude toward God. There must be the daily of the reality of the God whom we know is there.
These three circles must be properly established, emphasized and related to each other. At the center must be kept a living relationship to the God we know exists. When each of these three circles is established in its proper place, there will be tongues of fire and the power of the Holy Spirit. Then, at the end of my life, when I look back over my work since I have been a Christian, I will see that I have not wasted my life. – Francis A. Schaeffer, No Little People
“But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me and I to the world.” Galations 6:14
“Once I had a dream. In the dream I was to recieve a diploma as a spiritual teacher or guide of some sort. There were two of us being presented with such a certificate at the time. The other was a man – Swamibabagurushiroshirabbisoandso. He wore long colorful robes and had a fist full of degrees and papers. To receive his diploma he only had to step forward and present himself with his long titles, flowing robes, and abundant credentials. To recieve my diploma, I would first have to climb over this huge heap of laundry. – Polly Berrien Berrends, Whole Child/ Whole Parent
“The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.” – Numbers 6:24-26
- Warriors of Christ…with Grace-filled tongues – I need to watch my tongue a little more.
- What to do with your crazy ideas – what are my “crazy” ideas?
- Find your voice – “To have a voice, a writer must have passions and a sense of place…Our voice will be better developed if we spend time with our passions.”
- I am in Pain – inspirational. Run! Dream big! – “Visualize the pain – see yourself overcoming it – embracing it. Push when you have nothing left and remember as the saying goes PAIN IS TEMPORARY BUT PRIDE IS FORFREAK*NGEVER” …I can’t help thinking how this applies to labor as well. :) love it.
- Good to talk about holidays/expectations, and to speak up instead of simmering quietly. Your spouse only wants to please you and knowing what to get or do for you only helps the marriage to be smoother in the long run.
- dharma and craig – i’d like to think I’m a little more with it than this, but this post sounds so much like my husband and I, I th
- Just Good – What You’re Trying to Tell Him When You’re Angry
Raising Small Things
- This mom has written out her Practices of Mothering – seems like a good focus bringing activity for all moms..pointing out the important things and holding to them.
- Good tips for nutritious and easy food for lunch – How to Feed The Kids (and still have a life)
- Nursing in Public – reactions of the underexposed population.
- Very important to remember now! –Postpartum Tips